Smell has been one of our most prolific senses. Before even taking a look the sense of smelling allows us to get accustomed to the product or the substance in consideration lest it is odorless. The normal human sense of smell is quite strong but with age often and proper acclimatization the capability to distinguish between closely placed objects on their odor becomes a bit difficult. These difficulties are often faced at the industrial front where highly coagulated odors are present making the difference rather impossible to detect for a normal nasal passage. This difficulty has been gradually decreased with the arrival of the electronic nose which is one of the many scientific advancements acting on the olfactory reception capability of the humans and making them more pronounced for distinguishing tedious odors.
The use of chemo sensors along with cryptography was prevalent earlier before electronic nose arrived. This concept coupled with power devices and sensors have made the reception considerably easy.
Electronic noses mimic the procedure related to olfaction but in a detailed and well enhanced manner. They use the concept of odor as a fingerprinting concept addressed globally. They include varied forms of components and procedures which make their functioning according to the prescribed norms:
- The concept of sample delivery is being used here which allows in the generation of headspace using adsorption capabilities of fractional nature. These substances are then injected inside the systems used for detection.
- The volatile gases are being absorbed by the sensor surfaces which in turn produce an electric effect on the surface.
Total Receptive Procedure
The sensors attached to their functioning can be of electronic nature or of polymerized content depending upon the requirements:
- MOSFET s- these are field effect based transistors which enhance the electric nature of any charge of the method of amplification. The particles which undergo adsorption on their surface have atypical charge of their own. These charges interfere with the pre existing charges of the MOSFETs and are amplified. These amplifications are hereby detected by other computer based sensors and then the result is being displayed accordingly.
- The usages of polymers which conduct is also predominant as they have shown large affinities towards varied forms of charges.
- The quartz crystals exhibit the criteria of micro balancing which deals with the mass quantities of the substance and not the charges inside. They have a unique database system built inside which keeps the records readily.
- The concepts related to micromachining of silicon or popularly called MEMS are also used when the usage of acoustic waves are there.
These nurses have used in a variety of fields as odor still remains the foremost sense of perceiving. The uses are:
- Control labs use them to detect several compositions.
- Production departments may come across several objects of about the same shape and size. The electronic noses allow the differentiation to take place.
- Enhancing the security services attached to health.
- Monitoring the environmental implications.
Faster detection coupled with reliable information is the specialized attribute of this technology. Research is going on to make it a more potent form of detection in the future.
Keep up with the latest technological specifications of electronic noses including their efficient detection features and enhanced reliability.
Adil Kaya is a renewed writer and a Technology reviewer who specially writes columns on forvetbet türkiye