Flip video has been undisputed leader of the camcorder market since many years by fulfilling the requirements of the users of video quality and attractive design and features at affordable prices. To contest this domination of the market, Kodak has launched Zi8 camcorder as its best camcorder in the category of ultra compact camcorders and is very cost-effective and available in the range of $200.
Some of its features are:
- It measures 2.4 x 4.5 x 0.9 inches and weighs 4.8 ounces. It is liked for its sleeker build and a compact package of features provided by it.
- Available in black, aqua and raspberry colors, it attracts a lot of users but the sad part is that the surface is very prone to fingerprints and scratches and has to be kept in a protective cover which you can buy from Kodak itself.
- AA batteries, which were used earlier, are now replaced by the lithium ion chargeable batteries. Although this kills the option of replacing the batteries at any time, lithium ion batteries gives the camcorder a thinner look. It comes with the wall mounted charger’s adapter and can be charged through computer also.
- The video capture is excellent and boasts of 1080p and 30 fps of video while the 5 megapixel CMOS sensor helps in the capture of 5 megapixel still images.
- Just like other ultra-compact camcorders, Zi8 also has a 2 inch LCD screen on its back which is problematic in high glare shooting or self-recording conditions.
- It is available in 2 focal modes – macro and regular. While the regular focus mode allows you to focus around 100 cm away, the macro focus mode allows a distance of 15 cm.
- It is available in 4 recording modes which are a delight for advanced users but a little complex for the beginners. The recording modes are one 1920 x 1080 setting, next two are 1280 X 720 settings and the third is WVGA standard definition mode.
- Facing a little problem with auto white balance system, Zi8 managed to perform well under full HD conditions; but in low light conditions, the quality improved and the videos were rich in color and well saturated.
Although Zi8 with an inclusion of a smart external microphone jack has provided a lot of improvements and valuable features for Kodak, it is believed that it still has a long way to go before overpowering the flip’s market.