Mac OS X is one of the most popular desktop operating systems worldwide. OS X is a UNIX-based operating system that powers Apple’s Mac computers. Given its refined user experience and reliable security, this OS is a prominent alternative to Windows.
Although Apple provides special security measures with its OS, it is always a good idea to add another layer of security to stay safe on the internet. In this regard, using an encrypted SOCKS5 proxy service can immensely benefit the user.
Besides providing authentication mechanisms and anonymity by masking a user’s IP address, a SOCKS5 proxy can improve your online experience in other useful ways. Today’s article guides you in setting up your Mac OS X to work with a SOCKS5 proxy server.
Why You Should Use a SOCKS5 Proxy
Using a premium SOCKS5 proxy has some significant benefits. Here are the most common reasons businesses and individuals use SOCKS5 proxies for their corporate and private network.
Optimize Network Performance
A SOCKS5 proxy establishes a faster and more dependable connection with the internet. A Socket Secure (SOCKS) proxy server uses a transmission control protocol to connect to another server behind a firewall. SOCKS5 proxies do not rewrite your request headers, causing them to travel with less overhead. As a result, the connection becomes faster and less prone to errors. Thus, you can increase your connection’s speed and optimize the network’s performance by opting for a SOCKS5 proxy.
Websites generally flag IPs from the same subnet or a listed data center to identify fake users. You can mitigate this by using a residential proxy server. Every IP from a SOCKS5 residential proxy server comes from a standard home or mobile internet connection with an actual device behind it. Because these IPs come from internet service providers (ISPs), they improve your chance of circumventing the geoblocking and getting flagged as a non-authentic user.
Other Use Cases
By using a SOCKS5 proxy, you can surf the web with speedy, reliable (thanks to its authentication feature) connections and encounter fewer errors. You can use these proxies for various purposes:
- Access your favorite online streaming services and their content in any part of the world regardless of limitations;
- Play online games on any region-locked platform, and take advantage of game sales and discounts in different regions;
- Use P2P (peer-to-peer) file sharing while keeping your IP private;
- Surf the web anonymously without websites tracking your activity.
Advantages of Premium Proxies
Free SOCKS5 proxies constantly remain crowded. As a result, their speed is significantly slower. Some free proxy services show you annoying ads which are counter-productive. Apart from that, these publicly available proxies can gather your sensitive data and sell it to those willing to pay for it or infect your computer with malware.
For this reason, choose a dedicated private proxy. Investing in the best SOCKS5 proxies will enable you to get all the speed and security benefits of a fresh IP address in a location of your choice.
Configure Your SOCKS5 Proxy in Mac OS X
Configuring a SOCKS5 proxy in Mac OS X is very straightforward. You can easily configure a SOCKS5 proxy in Mac OS X using the in-built GUI settings utility app.
Step by Step Guide to Setting up Your Proxy
Follow these simple steps on Mac OS X to change the network settings and enjoy using your proxy.
- Click the Apple logo on the top left corner of the desktop.
- Choose System Preferences from the drop-down list. It will take you to the main settings page.
- Now click the Network icon to enter the Network Preferences.
- Select the correct Network Interface from the left. Choose the one you are currently using, Ethernet or WiFi (it will have a green dot).
- Select Advanced from within the page to land on the proxy settings page.
- From there, select the Proxies tab and tick the box which says SOCKS Proxy as the protocol to configure.
- Now enter the information you got from your proxy provider (IP address and port number, username and password, or a script file).
- Next, click on OK. Then press Apply on the bottom right corner of the window.
Now, you can exit the system preferences dialogue, and the OS will automatically apply the proxy settings.
Whether you want to access geo-restricted sites or merely surf the internet anonymously, SOCKS5 proxies can ensure your safety on your Mac device. Follow this guide properly to configure a SOCKS5 proxy on your Apple PC!