We are currently in an age of a new technology with an infinite amount of possibilities, we are witnessing the dawn of the Smartphone revolution. It may seem like Smartphones are taking over the world, but in fact only 35% of U.S. adults own one. Although this number increased from 27% in just six months, Smartphone usage is nowhere near where it is expected to be.
While the Smartphone audience is growing, so are the capabilities and resources for these devices. Mobile shopping is one element that is believed to be on the rise within the next few years. In 2010 11% of visitors to top e-retailer sites during the Holiday season made a purchase using their phone, a significant rise from the 2% in 2009’s Holiday Season. With this year’s Black Friday discounts coming up quick to kick off Holiday shopping, retailers are told to make their sites mobile-friendly and shoppers are encouraged to become Smartphone-savvy.
The Numbers Don’t Lie
Holiday Shopping is known to be insanely busy, but with the assistance of a Smartphone, the chore has become a little easier and much less time consuming. Last year, 30% of online shoppers said they used their phones to compare products, prices and find retailer locations. In 2009 only 11% of consumers said they used their phones to do this kind of research. On top of that, shoppers who said they were satisfied with a retailer’s mobile experience were 30% more likely to purchase something. Online retailers, like eBay and Amazon, have produced mobile apps for users to easily search and shop right from their phones. These applications were proven useful on last year’s Black Friday and are expected to be even bigger this year. Google predicts that 15% of all Black Friday searches this year will come from a mobile device, up from last year’s 5.6%.
However, Black Friday mobile apps can either help you find Black Friday coupons, or make it more difficult; which is why you should reference this list of the best of the best when it comes to free Black Friday Smartphone apps:
1. Amazon Price Check for iPhone & Android- Search through Amazon’s catalog of items via barcode scan, picture capture, voice search or text search right from your Smartphone. The app also supports 1-click purchasing like their website does, so mobile shopping is super easy! Since Amazon was the #1 retailer for 2010’s Black Friday, this app is a necessity.
2. Best Buy for iPhone & Android- With electronics being the most purchased items on Black Friday, the Best Buy app is a must-have. Not only does it allow you to search for items, but it shows you their detailed price history and even lets you shop right from the app! If you have already purchased an item but find that the price lowered the next day, you just have to call customer service and you will get the difference back just like that.
3. ShopSavvy for iPhone & Android- This app is a barcode scanner that makes price comparison a breeze. Once a barcode is scanned, the app then shows you the product and allows you to search the Internet for the best price. It also shows you a map of which stores carry that item and will show you whether or not it’s available there. You can also set the app to alert you when your chosen item hits a price low that you desire. Using this app on Black Friday would save you enormous amounts of time, and money!
4. Simon Malls for iPhone & Android- Is your local mall a Simon mall? If so, this is the best shopping buddy you could ask for. The features vary from mall to mall but they may include interior maps, coupons, discounts at stores in the mall and even location-based tracking to help you remember where you parked your car.
5. Black Friday App for iPhone & Android- Browse all leaked and confirmed Black Friday ads while saving items to your shopping list. You can also purchase directly from the retailer’s website through the app or find the nearest store. Find an amazing deal? Share it with our friends via Facenbook, Twitter or Email.
6. TGI Black Friday for iPhone & Android- find out Black Friday deals weeks in advance! Then plan your shopping lists on your phone to have an organized, efficient and stress-free Black Friday.
Cameron Smead is an avid bargain hunter who believes shopping is the best form of both therapy and exercise. With her Smartphone in hand, she is always searching for the next best sale. Cameron recommends checking Cheap Sally for the latest in Black Friday deals.